We would like to invite you to join us for the CILECT North America “Sound & Storytelling”conference that will take place at Chapman University in Southern California from March 22 – 24, 2018. (Participants will arrive on Wednesday March 21st and the conference will end in the late afternoon of March 24th.)
The conference will focus on the expressive and narrative use of sound in film and related media. The conference will consist of multiple sessions related to the theme, including keynote speakers, master classes, workshops, demonstrations, and panel discussions involving both educators and industry professionals.
The conference has been designed to appeal to a wide range of film educators and students, from those who have a general interest in the art and craft of filmmaking to those who specialize in sound for film or related media.
The conference website is chapman.edu/cna
Call for Papers/Presentations
We are now accepting submissions of proposals for papers/presentations. Send submissions to email@example.com by January 31st, 2018.
Take advantage of the discounted rate by registering prior to March 1:
Early Registration Deadline: March 1, 2018
- General Attendees: $300 (USD)
- Students: $85 (USD)
Late Registration Deadline: March 14, 2018
- General Attendees: $350 (USD)
- Students: $135 (USD)
Please note: most meals (coffee breaks, lunches and two receptions) will be provided as part of the conference. Attendees are responsible for securing their own lodging and transportation.
Registration information and information regarding hotels and conference events can be found on our website: chapman.edu/cna
Register today, and continue to check your email for updates about events, important deadline reminder emails and conference updates.
Our Keynote Speaker will be Mark Mangini who sound designed Mad Max: Fury Road and BladeRunner 2049. He has been nominated for four Academy Awards for Best Sound Editing and has won one for Mad Max: Fury Road http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005625/
Featured speakers include:
• Vanessa Ament, Endowed Chair at Ball State. Author of The Foley Grail. https://cms.bsu.edu/academics/collegesanddepartments/telecommunications/about-us/faculty-staff/amentvanessa
• Jay Beck, Professor at Carleton College, author of Designing Sound: Audiovisual Aesthetics in 1970s American Cinema https://apps.carleton.edu/profiles/jbeck/
• Midge Costin, Professor and Head of Sound at School of Cinematic Arts at USC (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0182703/). She will be discussing the making of her documentary about sound designers called Making Waves: The Art of Cinematic Sound: http://www.makingwavesmovie.com/
• Miriam Cutler (Music Composer for Documentary Films): http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0193948/
• Mildred Iatrou: Supervising Sound Editor whose credits include Lalaland, Battle of the Sexes, The Mountain Between Us. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0406375/
• Mark Kerins, Professor at Southern Methodist University, Filmmaker and author of Beyond Dolby (Stereo) Cinema in the Digital Sound Age https://www.smu.edu/Meadows/AreasOfStudy/FilmMediaArts/Faculty/KerinsMark
• Samuel Larson Guerra, Mexican sound designer, composer and teacher. Author of Thinking About Sound: An Introduction to Film Sound Theory and Practice.
• Christopher Newman, Production Sound Recordist whose credits include: Medium Cool, The Godfather, Klute, The Exorcist: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0628039/
• David Sonnenscheim, Author of Sound Design: The Expressive Power of Music, Voice and Sound Effects in Cinema http://filmsound.org/bibliography/sounddesignbook.htm
• Bill Wittington, Professor at USC, author of Sound Design and Science Fiction, http://cinema.usc.edu/directories/profile.cfm?id=33&first=&last=&title=&did=50&referer=/directories/staff.cfm&startpage=1&startrow=121
CILECT North America is a regional association of the member schools of CILECT: https://cilectnorthamerica.com/about/
Our conference partners are:
University Film & Video Association (UFVA http://www.ufva.org/)
Motion Picture Sound Editors (MPSE http://www.mpse.org/),
Cinema Audio Society (http://cinemaaudiosociety.org)
Mix Magazine (http://www.mixonline.com).